Child's Garden Variety Pack
This pack of 5 types of vegetable and edible flower seeds was created to provide a tasty and educational experience for children and families. When I give farm tours, I always encourage kids to eat straight off the plant! The varieties included are the ones kids have gravitated towards and enjoyed eating the most. They are:
1) Orca Beans. These beans can be eaten fresh off the plant, or allow some to dry for the magical experience of cracking open the pods to reveal the beautiful black and white beans within. Minimum 30 beans.
2) Burgundy Amaranth. These bright purple plants will grow to towering heights, and when shaken, they will shed their grains. I use this plant to demonstrate to children how plants drop their seeds to begin the next generation. Tender leaves can be eaten straight off the plant. Minimum 100 seeds.
3) Russian Mammoth Sunflower. These massive flowers grow to the size of a dinner plate and their seeds grow in interesting spiral patterns. Seeds can be dried for eating, or you can leave it outside as "nature's bird feeder." Minimum 30 seeds.
4) Reisetomate Tomato. A deliciously strange tomato that grows in distinct segments (see photo), this oddball always catches the attention of children at the farmer's market. Indeterminate tomato. Minimum 30 seeds.
5) Black Panther Edamame. With its mild and buttery flavour, edamame tends to be a big favourite with youngsters. This edamame will be bright green when fresh; if you allow some to dry, it will turn jet black. Minimum 30 beans.
Grown organically with love and tenderness in the Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada, in the summer of 2022. All open pollinated. Germination tested.